Info for HYS coaches
The role of the HYS coach
- Create a positive environment.
- Empower the kids. We want kids to have ownership in HYS, and to be independent thinkers. Let the kids have some say and ask their opinions.
- Use the practice format and recommended activities on the Coaches Blog to ensure kids get high repetitions of key skills in the context of fun games.
- Teach the coaching points on the Coaches’ Blog using the coaching methods provided on the blog.
Where to start?
Starting out as a coach can be a daunting task. Don’t worry, we have you covered! Go to our Coaches’ Blog for all of your coaching needs, including the following:
- Coach responsibilities
- Preparing for a season
- Running practice sessions
- Managing games
Contact your age group director or Director of Coach Education Jon Gangi for any help you need. We are happy to help you!
Improving your craft
There are several ways to become a better coach:
- Use the Coaches Blog
- Attend HYS coach training sessions. We will notify you of upcoming courses.
- Take licensing courses through Mass Youth Soccer
- Seek help from age group coordinators and the director of coach education.
- Read the USSF Soccer Coaching Manual.
- Use the Web. YouTube in particular has loads of great videos.